James Fleck House
404 Queen Street
Written by Bytown Museum
It's just a façade! This Queen Anne Revival-style façade was at one time the front of a two-and-a-half-storey brick house built in 1894 for James G. Fleck. When a high-rise hotel complex was built on the site in the late 1980s, the City of Ottawa insisted that the façade be retained as a key element of Queen Street's heritage, between Bay Street and Bronson Avenue. The remainder of the house was torn down.
The Alexander Fleck Company, a machine shop and foundry, began operating in Montréal in 1842 but was later moved to Ottawa. James Fleck and his brother took over for their father, Alexander, and operated the company in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Later generations turned the company into a manufacturer of equipment for the growing pulp and paper industry. The company continues to operate under the name Alexander Fleck.