Rideau Canoe Club
Rideau Canal (where Queen Elizabeth Drive meets Fifth Avenue)
Written by Bytown Museum
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the banks of the Rideau Canal in downtown Ottawa were dotted with wooden boathouses. One of the more impressive boathouses belonged to the Rideau Canoe Club (RCC), located along the canal where Queen Elizabeth Driveway meets Fifth Avenue. Members of the club, which formed in 1902, enjoyed canoeing, motorboating and tennis.
In 1936, club member Frank Amyot won the gold medal for the 1,000-metre single-blade canoe event at the Olympic Games in Germany. He was the first Canadian to win an Olympic gold medal in paddling.
During World War II, the club was almost shut down, as members were focused on the war effort. Shortly after the war ended, the RCC moved to Mooney's Bay where it continues to provide training for sprint racing canoeing and kayaking.
Did you know that the Rideau Canoe Club was once known as the Rideau Aquatic Club?
Like the rest of Ottawa, the area that would become known as the Glebe was originally a hunting territory for Anishnabe (Algonquin) tribes, principally the Odawa, whose name is commemorated ... read more