34 Alexander Street
Written by Bytown Museum
This one-and-a-half storey frame house was built between 1864 and 1865 for John Henderson, a manager at the Maclaren lumber mills. The Hendersons were among the first families to settle in the New Edinburgh area, and members of the family may have been among the numerous workmen on the Rideau Canal under Thomas MacKay, who persuaded many of his workers to settle near his mills. When New Edinburgh became an incorporated village in 1865, John Henderson became its first treasurer and he later served as reeve. After New Edinburgh amalgamated with the City of Ottawa in 1887, Henderson served as city clerk.
Henderson's descendants lived in the house until 1969.